From:
George Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:08:53 -0500
Mary,
I am someone who is the main person working on basically the same kind of
project.  The main beinfits that we have seen is the vast improvement in
keeping track of the collections, updataing the accuracy of the records to
reflect what the museum actually has in its collections instead of simply
what the records say you should have, etc...  I think that these would be
the main benifits in any museum setting.  The program that we use is
PastPerfect.  In addition to collections management, it can also be used
for digital membership management.  I don't see how collections management
would be used directly for outreach or programming, although if you have
better control over your collections, you will probably be able to offer
better collections based programs.  The project I am working on also
adresses gaps that should be filled in the museum's collections in order
to have a complete or more representational collection.  Part of that
aspect of the project also allows for review of existing collections for
possible deaccessioning of multiple/duplicate objects to a
programatic/education collection.
Feel free to contact me off list with further questions.

Beau Harris
Registrar
Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819