From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 22:30:46 -0400
It appears, that in the heat of discussing various theoretical positions and
personal experiences we may overlook some simple realities. If it costs "x"
to produce a product or service, then contracting someone who has to charge
"x" plus a profit margin will always, in the longer run, be more expensive.
The only way a private contractor can realize serious cost savings for the
government on ongoing responsibilities is by paying labor less and/or using
inferior materials. If the cost differential is purely in productivity costs
(highly unlikely) then what we need to demand is better management and not
privatization of responsibilities.

The above does not touch on the issue of institutional memory. That element
is difficult to quantify in economic terms but it is real and there is a
real cost involved to lack of institutional memory. A friend, a long-time
employee of the federal government used to say to me, "Just, by the time you
train one administration they bring on another one, and you have to begin
all over."
nburlakoff