From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:45:01 -0500
"That is something up with which I shall not put."  Also Winston Churchill.

Professional writers know there is no "rule" against ending a sentence with
a preposition.  It is true that about 90% of the time you can recast the
sentence to end with some other word, and the sentence will be clearer and
more elegant because of it.  But there is that other 10% which defy
recasting, and leaving them be is perfectly legal.  Mr. Tongariki's "Yes it
does provide background, but that is for what our e-mail libraries are" is a
stunning example of adhering too closely to rules that don't atually exist.
(Though I would have gone with "that's why we have e-mail libraies".)

At 07:37  4/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
>"A preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with"  Winston
>Churchill
>
>----------
>> From: Tongariki <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: Netiquette
>> Date: Sunday, April 13, 1997 11:16 AM
>>
>> I wish people would get away from repeating the text of the entire
>> preceeding exchange.  Yes it does provide backgroud, but that is for what
>> our e-mail libraires are. (Forgive the antique sentence structure but I
>do
>> not like ending sentences with prepositions.)  The lengthy quotations
>just
>> take time to scan through to get to the reply!

Eugene Dillenburg
Geology Department
The Field Museum                                FAX: 312-922-9566
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Dr.                phone: 312-922-9410 ext. 293
Chicago, Illinois  60605

"It's not really food if it doesn't hurt."

                                        -- Bruce Elliott