From:
"Brennan.Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:24:03 -0500
Well, I feel the need to contribute a few cents to this conversation.

Gen Xers are Baby Busters, those born in the late-60's early 70's when the
birth rate dipped to its lowest point around 1973 and then started slowly
climbing back up in the 80's.  We are 20 somethings approaching 30.  And,
many of us enjoy going to museums and participating in  program offerings.

In terms of attendance, you have to remember that there are more middle-aged
visitors because they tend to travel more frequently.  And there are simply
more of them than twenty-somethings-why we are the "busters" and they are
the "boomers."  I think if you look at local populations who visit their
area museums, (in urban locales), there are a lot of young professionals
attending.

Contemporary teenagers have been labeled by the media as Generation Y, the
computer kids.

Of course we should avoid using these labels, but the labels creep back into
the picture when programmers try to target diverse audiences and fundraisers
try to tap into resources of its visitors.

Sheila Brennan