From:
Paige Lilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 1994 11:34:19 -0400
I have asked this question in the Archives List, so please excuse the
duplication if you read both.

At the Penobscot Marine Museum, we are considering charging a user fee
for visiting researchers in the Library.  We have a wide range of users
and the library is open five days a week year round with no appointment
necessary.  Our "intellectual control" of archival resources is
inconsistent but constantly improving.  Should we begin charging, I would
like us to be in line with the practices of other museum libraries or
research archives.  An informal survey was taken at last year's Maritime
Librarian's meeting and as I recall no one in attendance had such a fee.

Thanks for any input regarding onsite user fees.

Paige Lilly, Archivist/Librarian
Penobscot Marine Museum
Searsport, Maine
voice:  (207)548-2529  e-mail:  [log in to unmask]