From:
Sofka Vinos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:22:08 +0000
Castellani Art Museum wrote:

>> On the subject of food, does anyone know of other exhibitions specific
>>
>> to food, its history, science, art, etc during the last 10-20 years or
>>
>> so and where they were held? (We had one in 94 at the Castellani
>> called
>> Consuming Passions.) Is there a museum devoted to food?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Elizabeth Licata
>> Castellani Art Museum
>> Niagara University

There are several food museums; both the "production of food" type, and
"the joy of eating" type.

Re food production, in Switzerland there is the "Alimentarium", a branch
of the Nestlé Foundation.

Director: Martin Scharer
Alimentarium, CP 12, CH-1800 Vevey, Switzerland
Fax: (+41-21) 924 45 63
(sorry, I don't have the e-mail)

For food as art, one of the best museums in Budapest is the Hotel
Museum, old menus, wine lists, mostly from the Belle Epoque.

In France in 1977, there was a temporary exhibition at the Musée d'art
moderne de la Ville de Paris, called "L'Art du sucre", about all the
beautiful things than can be done in sugar: among works of art, a
spectacular violin, a cathedral made with sugar lumps, a colorful
country-side with bushes, trees, flowers, and a toy train (not in sugar)
running through it. It was placed at child-level. In spite of a special
guard, the landscape was partly nibbled away by the end of the show.
Overheard youthful conversation: "that tree was good, have you tried the
bush?"

There are also several museums of bread. One I know of is in Iena,
Germany. Consulting an international directory of museums should bring
some good results.

Have fun,

Suzanne Nash