From:
George Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:31:50 -0500
First Janice, good for you for entertaining the idea of writing back to the
candidates. When a job candidate puts their resume in the mail, they're
entrusting their future to the nameless, faceless person at the other end of
the mailbox. It's a difficult wait, and those institutions that take time to
communicate with candidates have an opportunity to position their
institution in a positive light with hundreds of people within the industry.

That said, to me unsolicited job applications fall into a separate category.
A few years ago I ran a small, upstart museum. As we worked to spread word
of our existence I received a few unsolicited job requests. The museum could
barely afford my salary let alone another staff person, so we clearly
weren't in a position to hire. I had such a small number of requests that
the good angel sitting on my shoulder told me to create a nice form letter
and send it back. But I don't think I really gained much from the
communication in this instance. The requests were from people taking wild
shots in the dark hoping I'd be hiring.

I think people applying to a job you advertise deserve a form letter reply,
at the very least. ANY communication that lets the application know where
they stand is immensely appreciated. But people who send unsolicited resumes
probably aren't waiting on baited breath for your reply, and therefore, I'd
feel justified filing the resume under category 13 – the trash can.

Best,

George Garner
Director of Exhibitions
Northern Indiana Center for History
www.centerforhistory.org // (574) 235-9664

--------
In December, visit the Oliver mansion to see 1940s formal gowns set against
the backdrop of a World War II-era holiday gathering.