From:
Victoria Kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 00:52:12 +0000
Cassandra,

It may mean organic colors, as per the American Arts and Crafts movement.

Is this American interiors that you are reading about?

If so and you want a quick answer, it was based on a perception of organic color - think sage green for a green- (there are reds and yellows too -muted). You can do a quick  internet image search for Stickley interiors.

While some affluent (summer/second/country) homes would have had this muted organic palette at the beginning of the century, by the 1920's, this palette may have been found in more middling homes; it certainly was encouraged by the taste makers.

If you are researching, a  great  place to start is looking at the entire run of Gustavo Stickler's magazine, "The Craftsman". The magazine was published  from 1901 - 1916. In this primary source, are articles about which colors to select for interiors alongside images depicting these colors in situ (some nice rendering can be found in an issue from 1905). One of the early articles in December 1901 is "Concerning the Choice of Color". (I had the daunting task of reading the entire run of the magazine in less than a week  a few years back and still remember that article clearly -the earlier issues are superior to the ones published 1909 and on.)   The Craftsman ideal was influential on American interiors of its day and beyond (into the 1920's and to date).

 You  may wish to check World Cat to find "The Craftsman" at your  local library. The Smithsonian has the entire run on several CDs.

If you are interested in the reasons to "why these colors?" and are not in a rush, I could send you a bibliography when I'm back at my office.

Either way, best of luck!

Victoria