From:
Ann Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:11:33 -0400
Jim,

Are you working with an architect knowledgable about glass and window
specifications and your building?  He/she should be able to help you
with this problem.  Tinted glass can be very unfriendly looking, and if
your building is historic, it may also look odd, especially if new
window frames and mullions are also very different in proportion to the
originals.  An alternative I often specify when we want the benefits
without the discoloration is clear glass (or very lightly tinted)
insulating units with a low-E (emissivity) coating on the inside.
Viracon makes this product and it is relatively expensive glass.  The
shelf life of the applied films may depend on the exposure of the
window, your interior conditions such as the extent of condensation on
the glass, and on whether people can reach it and help peel it off when
it inevitably starts to come loose.

We once specified some extra thick and expensive plexiglas for an
ornamental item at a museum and the manufacturer turned out to be a
museum supporter and I believe donated it.  You might investigate that
route...

Ann Trowbridge, AIA