From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:07:47 -0700
Greetings Sarah,

What's always worked for me is to treat an interview like a
conversation.  So, relax!  In truth, you and your potential employer are
interviewing (conversing with) one another.  They want to make certain
you are the right person for the job.  And you want to make certain it's
the right place for you.

As the interviewee, listen to each question, think (what information is
really sought?), then answer honestly and concisely.  If you have an
example to illustrate your point, provide it.  Again, be concise.  But
don't 'pad' your answer with exaggerated or unrelated information.  If
you don't know something, be honest -- say, "I do not know" or "I do not
have experience with _X, Y, and/or Z_" -- BUT follow-up immediately by
expressing the desire to learn!

When the interviewer asks if you have questions, HAVE SOME PREPARED!
The job description based upon which you applied cannot possibly provide
all the information you really want.  Ask about the stability of funding
for the position, why previous people left the position, your work
environment (private, semi-private, open), vacation and sick leave,
health/dental coverage, retirement, required dress, set or changing
hours, evening/weekend events, parking, etc., etc., etc.  (However, if
the answer is obvious, don't ask the question.  *smirk*)

Don't hesitate to contact me off-list if desired.

Best wishes in your interview.

Sincerely,
Jay Heuman

Until Jan 21st:
     Assistant Curator of Programs & Exhibitions
     Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
     Utah State University

From Feb 1st:
     Curator of Education