Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 14:36:39 EDT
In an effort to facilitate communication and networking
among science centers worldwide, the Association of Science-
Technology Centers (ASTC) has launched its electronic forum,
ASTC Online.  We view this initial forum as an on-going
experiment during the coming year, an opportunity to listen
to the field and its needs, to gain experience with
electronic communication, and to plan ways of achieving
wider science center use of the more sophisticated
electronic communication technologies that are evolving.

We appreciate the thoughful discussion that has appeared on
Museum-l during recent weeks and look forward to continuing
discussion in the coming months.  Your comments and suggestions
are valuable as we evaluate this project and the path to pursue
in our use of electronic communication technologies.

Currently, the forum libraries contain information on
ASTC publications, and the ASTC Traveling Exhibition Service,
ASTC membership lists and forms, YouthALIVE! program descriptions,
the ASTC Job Bank list and other often requested information.
Messages posted on the boards vary from inquiries about
exhibitions and programs to postings about upcoming conferences
and workshops.  ASTC is considering an area for advertisement of
products and services.  We are also working on a schedule of guest
speakers and look forward to regular online discussion
groups.

ASTC Online's official debut will be at the ASTC Annual
Conference in Portland, Oregon.  At the ASTC Online booth
members may sign up for a free start-up kit for ASTC Online
and register for the hands-on demonstrations of the forum
taking place Saturday and Sunday.

One of the many reasons ASTC chose CompuServe is because it allows
us to provide library files, message boards and conference rooms in
one central location.  ASTC Online is a private forum on CompuServe.
Having a private forum allows us to provide a flat rate monthly fee
rather than hourly charges for use.  It also provides an area for
those interested in the science center and museum profession to
discuss current topics and concerns. At this time, ASTC does not
have the staff or equipment to maintain a more extensive service
on the Internet.

A special account number is needed to access this private forum.
These accounts are obtained with a start-up kit available from
ASTC.  The cost of the start-up kits is $25 for members and
$29 for non-members.  (For members ordering before October
31st the cost is $20.) The first month of access to ASTC
Online and CompuServe are free of charge.  Monthly fees are
$15/mo for unlimited access to ASTC Online and $8.95 connect
fee for CompuServe Basic Services (alternative connect
plans are available from CompuServe).  It is possible to
Telnet to CompuServe from the Internet, but an account is
still needed to use the services.

If you are interested in participating in ASTC Online respond
with your name, mailing address and the type of platform
(DOS, Win, Mac) to Morgan Passiment ([log in to unmask])
or write to ASTC, 1025 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington,
DC 20005. You may call 202/783/7200 or fax 202/783/7207 for more
information.

Sincerely,

Bonnie VanDorn
Executive Director