From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:37:35 -0400
I'd like to go out on a limb with this list and reply about entry level
museum careers.
One needs a chance from some kind , future employer somewhere along the
line. So dear folks consider the next person in front of you, who
nervously awaits the next interview question. You just may be the person
who helps someone enter the field. Look upon this person as to if given
the chance they may surprise you and true that could go both ways, for
all you who are chuckling at your keyboards.
I think we all garner valuable experience from all former careers before
we land in the one we love.
I have designed large waterwheel generators at General Electric for 13
years, started out as a layout man transferring drafting information to
large castings, worked in a foundry during a drafting apprenticeship,
operated my own company selling aircraft hoses ,fittings, HVLP spray
painting equipment.
All along I always really wanted to work in a museum and repair and
prepare artifacts and place them for all to see. I had no idea of where
to begin to find the door to a museum career.
Just by chance I went to the Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa
to sell them a paintsprayer to clearcoat bronze statues and protect them
from the raveges of acid rain. There I met Gordan Fairburn Conservator
of Furniture who kindly offered me a tour after my demo and explained
what conservation was all about.
The recession hit in 1991 and it was game over for sales. It was collect
"pogy" or back to school. After 4 years at Sir Sandford Fleming College
which included 2000 iinternship hours of hands-on experience, I still
had to have someone give me the chance to work in the field.
Someone did and the rest is history-you have to put up with my sincere
ramblings about giving the person on the outside looking in; the chance.
So charity does have it's place.
I have made a point of helping others and it is rewarding . The payback
is great-dedicated people wanting to give their best . To date in 4.5
years I have trained 12 people who knew nothing of Museum Conservation .
Many gravitated to other areas within the museum ,yet still they call or
write ,better still they ask when the next volunteer project is shaping
up.
Regards

Len Hambleton-Chief Conservator
NC Museum of History
Raleigh NC

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my institution.