From:
Cliff quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 11:14:52 -0700
On Thu, 28 Jul 1994, Angela Trigg wrote:

> I am a new subscriber to this list service. Was wondering if anyone out there
> was also from a small, local history museum?

Though I am not from a small history museum myself, my program concerns
itself with cataloguing, standards and automation issues in small
museums. There are about 300 small museums in British Columbai.

> I am currently writing a Collections Manual. We have only about 500 items,
> focusing on farmlife, textiles, schools, community, etc. Am having trouble,
> however, in coming up with a good classification system.>

Chenhall, that Richard G suggested is in wide use here, and is a good
basis for your classification system. It only has three levels though,
but does a reasonable job of fitting the whole world in. I will mail you
separately a summary we hand out to our musuems. The complete citation is:

Blackaby, James R., Patricia Greeno, and the Nomenclature Committee.
The Revised Nomenclature for Museum Cataloguing.
A Revised and Expanded Version of
Robert G. Chenhall's System for Classifying Man-Made Objects. American
Association for State and Local History. 1990. 528p.

Cliff Quinn, Dogwood Museum Network Coordinator
Ph: (604) 387-3315 [log in to unmask]