From:
"Schroder, Leah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 16:45:44 -0400
The Kimball received an award when it opened as a very accessible design. I
don't remember the year that it was built, but it was very pre-ADA. From
what I know if it (I have never been, just read about it), it is a very
early example of effective universal design-design considering the needs of
all audiences.  With the  sensitivity to visitors' needs rooted into the
philosophy of the museum's actual building and site, it seems extremely
unfortunate that the front-line staff is not trained accordingly. ADA is
about reducing barriers, but the foremost barriers to creating welcoming,
inclusive environments are attitudinal barriers. I hope that the Kimball
will now use this case study as a red-flag to increase sensitivity training.
I also hope that others in this discussion (I will not mention any names...)
will realize that creating inclusive environments DOES mean anticipating
visitor needs and planning accordingly, and I feel that while we all have
our different responsibilities in the museum, visitor services and visitors
needs should always be in mind. Visitor Services means exactly that:
providing visitors with the services they need and being prepared to assist
visitors as they arrive, NOT requiring them to research prior to a visit
whether of not they are welcomed there.

For me, these discussions inspire me to dust off my copy of Excellence and
Equity which states: "museums must become more inclusive places that welcome
diverse audiences...[this means] identify audiences with special needs,
develop ongoing working relationships with them, and make the museum's
program, exhibitions, services, and information more accessible to them."

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts,

Leah C. Schroder, Assistant Educator
Programs for Visitors with Disabilities and Special Needs
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019
212.708.9864