From:
Karen Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 08:24:37 CST
gordon murdock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Subject:       Re: "People-Counters"
> To:            Multiple recipients of list MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>

> Julia--
>
> I don't know who sells them off hand, but I'd call W. W. Grainger as a start.
> They have nearly everything and if they don't have what you need, they'll know
> who does.  They must have an office in Indianapolis.  Certainly in Chicago.
>
> But you'll want to think a bit.  There are several kinds, each with advantages
> and disadvantages (isn't that always the way?).
>
> Turnstiles are pretty accurate, but ugly and not handicapped friendly for the
> most part.
>
> Electric eyes get confused when people come by in bunches and don't know wheth
er
> you are coming or going (so you have to do visual counts at typical times and
> compare them to what your counter thinks happened so you can calibrate the
> thing).
>
> Pressure mats have the same problems as electric eyes with the added
> complication that, because they get walked on, they break eventually.  They al
so
> tend to creep across the floor as people walk on them which can be a nuisance.
>
> I'd advise talking to various places that have the sorts of counters you think
> look attractive and see whether they share your enthusiasm.
>
> Gordon Murdock
> Bell Museum of Natural History
> and Museum Studies Minor Program
> University of Minnesota
>

> In message  <v01510101ac7b2cc3a058@[128.113.76.18]> Museum discussion list
> writes:
> > >Does anyone know where I can purchase a "people-counter," i.e. a motion
> > >sensor that tracks visitors as they come in the door and records their
> > >numbers?  Addresses and phone numbers of suppliers would be helpful.  We
> > >have an old one that we would like to update, and nobody can remember how
> > >we got it originally.
> > >
> > >Thank you very much!
> > >
> > >Julia Moore
> > >Indianapolis Art Center

We are fortunate enough to have guards stationed at the doors to our
museum. The guards have small hand-held thumb-activated counters and
part of their job is counting visitors. This is probably one of the
most accurate methods, but if you don't already have someone at the
door it obviously isn't very cost-efficient.
Karen W. Anderson, Registrar
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
Canyon, Texas, USA