From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:54:02 -0400
I am glad that Phil Barnes has enough upbringing to apologize to the list.
Unfortunately, his attempts at justifying his rudeness and lack of manners
with juvenile versions of history does little to convince one that his
apology is in any way genuine. In addition, his secondary rationalization of
"but I said what I was feeling at the time" is not the statement of an
adult. We can overlook a lack of social skills in a child but an adult needs
to control his/her feelings/language to be taken seriously. His third
justification of his churlish behavior is that he could not stand the
"bashing the military." I suggest, that this is a projection. No one was
bashing the military but merely reporting the facts as they understood them.
I cannot sympathize with folks who are unable to deal with facts whenever
these facts go against cherished prejudices.

My own posts were directed towards showing the need for a moral dimension in
formulating museum policy. This was a legitimate response to a question
dealing with a request for help in policy formulation. In my view the
military and artifacts associated with it are contrary to most systems of
morality. The fact is, that it was not he military that defeated communism
but the peaceful protest of people in Poland, Russia, Czechoslovakia,
Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, etc.. The 1990's saw nearly one billion people become
free with virtually no shot being fired. In our own history we would
probably be still part of England had that government the wisdom of
adequately addressing the colonist's grievances. Instead, by sending troops
we had a wholly preventable bloodbath. Others may disagree with my, or any
other, views-that is their right, but there is no need to be verbally
abusive or try to attempt to justify one's rudeness with a series of
rationalizations.  Since I have been in the museum business since 1989 and
have been a founding curator of one successful museum, a founding director
of another, the designer and implementer of an opening exhibition of another
museum (not counting half- dozen other exhibits and exhibitions), and am
currently working on developing my third museum I believe that I can
contribute to questions of policy, museum philosophy, and administration.

Museum-L list appeals to me precisely because of the range of subjects and
views expressed. One day there are posts dealing with highly technical
questions (something that helps me learn in areas of my own weaknesses)
other days there are policy or philosophically oriented posts. I contribute
to those where I feel that I can add an unexpressed view, and in which I
have some experience. I hope my posts help, but I see no reason to take the
ranting of some seriously, even if I may not be right on a particular issue.
The purpose of Museum-L is to meet the needs of all museum professionals and
not to reflect the view of the List of any one group of subscribers.
PeaceNick