From:
Fiona Dejardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:33:09 -0400
Because you are a college museum with a parent organization who is
probably cultivating potential donors (not necessarily for your museum
but because they might be willing to build a field house), you will need
to deal with the administration and make sure that you will not be
offending those potential donors or upsetting your administration by
disposing of the objects.  When alums or other donors give gifts to the
college or the Museum, those gifts belong to the college and
consequently have to be disposed of with the college's consent.  We have
encountered similar situations and here are some of the things you might
want to do:
1.  Make sure you have a collections policy that clearly outlines your
collecting plan.  This should be approved by your college's board of
trustees.
2.  Make sure that the right administrators have a copy of the
collections policy--particularly those departments that accept
gifts--for us that is our department of Institutional Advancement.
3.  Additionally, you need to keep your college officials happy, so we
created another policy--Art on Campus--that clearly explained that if a
gift was received by the college that they wanted to keep the museum did
not have to accept it, but the museum would be happy to place it on
campus as part of a campus beautification project.  These objects are
not accessioned by the museum, however, we do do an inventory on them
(you can have a student do this), and we inform the administration if
anything needs conservation.  In our policy, we clearly remind the
administration that we will not be held responsible for any expenses
incurred with the care of these objects.  Make sure everyone has a copy
of the policy--you may also want to remind them of it on occasion as it
is bound to disappear into a file cabinet!
4.  Occasionally, the College accepts a gift that does not meet our
collectioning plan, but that has educational possibilities.  These
objects, such as some inexpensive Chinese snuff bottles (our collection
is North and South America), are accepted by the museum but are placed
in our education collection.   This collection is great for teaching,
developing museum in a box ideas, please touch for local schools, or
having students practice developing an exhibit.
5.  If you do decide to dispose of objects and there is no objection
from your administration, you will still need to check with your
chartering institution, which is probably the State Board of Education
and make sure that you are following their guidelines.

Fiona M. Dejardin, Ph.D.
Director, The Yager Museum of Art and Culture
Hartwick College
Oneonta, NY 13820
607-431-4827