From:
Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 11:09:13 -0400
On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, Jane Glaser wrote:

> Tess: Your prof. is all gloom and doom. Without being a cockeyed
> optimist, there are opportunities for you if you are patient before
> you get your masters degree. You can: volunteer (no pay), get an
> internship (some pay, some don't), or try for an entry level job
> such as clerk-typist, museum aide, or assistant to the assistant in
> some area of museum work...even be a guard or a gardener. Just get
> IN, and ask questions, observe all parts of the museum, and work
> above and beyond your job description! It happens all the time.
> An internship can be a great learning experience for you, and I think
> you are wise to try working before you get your masters. You will be more
> aware of the direction you may want to go.

      This is great advice, Tess, and it works in just about any field. I
got into the newspaper biz by coming in while the managing editor of my
local paper was on vacation and writing shorts and obits for two weeks.
When he came in one day and asked who the hell I was, I showed him my
black sheets and was hired on the spot.
      Getting *in* is the toughest hurdle in any organization; after
that, you can show them what you've got.

Hank Burchard * Weekend Section * The Washington Post
1150 15th Street NW * Washington DC USA 20071-0001
VoiceMail (202) 334-7243 * Email: [log in to unmask]