From:
Jim Druzik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 14:23:39 -0800
A STORY OF OUR TIMES.   ONCE UPON A TIME...

I was on a distribution list which moved from one venue
to another.  During the transition, the Postmaster kept both
lists going.  About 30 of us were also on a sub-list, posted to
by the main list.  So I go into work and there in my e-mail
was everything in triplicate.  That included the frayed nerves
of numerous people trying to UNSUBSCRIBE to the entire
list.

Over the next few days,  anger grew and grew.  At one point,
someone (it was a programmer who should have known
better) called one of the list admin.  at USC, a "Jackass".
The "jackass" was the Executive Director of all USC
computing services.  Not a nice thing.  Not a wise thing.
 The list shrunk from 400+ to 200+ in two weeks. With
dozens and dozens  of UNSUBSCRIBE me's going to the
list rather than the LISTSERV.

Well, the list owners came down so hard on such topics
as SIGNOFF and INFO REFCARD, the next day there was
not a single e-mail message.  It was spooky.

Perhaps the MUSEUM-L administrator might elect to
intervene when this issue flares up as it appears to be
currently.  Since the reference library release is 1.8a
(and I've got my copy of general user commands right in
 front of me) I find it unusual that no one has commented
on the fact that UNSUBSCRIBE is not even a listed
command in the first place.