From:
Kristen Harbeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:04:08 EDT
I have been reading this thread with great interest this week -- this is the
kind of discussion that I stay on this list to read (among other things).
After some internal debate, I have decided to that my reaction to the image
of this sculpture (granted, not the sculpture itself) was profound enough
that I felt it was worth sharing.

I agree with much of what has been written - I do not think that removing the
statue from Rockefeller Center is censorship, I do not think that it is
comparable to the Sensations controversy or the Enola Gay debacle. I do
think, however, that this sculpture serves an important function and that now
IS the right time for it.

The intensity of the pain and grief of that day has been in many ways as
great on the anniversary as it was just after the actual attack, if a little
bit more reflective now that the shock has worn off. Emotions so extreme and
events as incomprehensible can sometimes only be expressed through art. The
sculpture of the falling woman gave expression to what I could never express
-- the individual nature of the tragedy, the helplessness of it all, the end
of a national innocence. Beyond the factual, historical truth of the jumpers,
in many ways we all fell that day, we all felt that helpless lack of control
that is embodied in that sculpture.  It isn't a memorial to the jumpers as
much as it is a memorial to everything and everybody that died that day.

In many ways, on a very personal level, this sculpture has helped me to both
grieve and understand the new face of the world. I know that I am not the
only one who found that. I would not have been ready for this sculpture six
months ago, but I think that it is important for this kind of expression to
come to the surface now.

I am not certain that Rockefeller Center is the best place for it. I do,
however, think that this sculpture, as graphic as it is, serves a very
important purpose and should be relocated into a public place where people
can choose to see it -- free of charge. It is a powerful, beautiful sculpture
which serves an important purpose. Art, after all, is not purely aesthetic --
in its greatest form, it expresses the inexpressible and helps us confront
our societal demons.  Something more peaceful and tasteful might not be so
well suited to serve this function.

Back to lurking.

Kristen