From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:00:11 EST
We have collectors/dealers on our Board of Trustees and Board of Overseers.  I
do have both on my Collections Committee.  I agree that their presence can
raise potential conflicts, but the bonus comes in their knowledge of the
market, availability of objects, relationships with other collectors who can
be cultivated as donors, and finally in their own generosity to our
insistution in terms of their committments of time, knowledge, and finances.
It should be clear to Boards and Committees that the dealers and collectors
shouldn't operate in conflict with the museum.  But I think they have such a
wealth of knowledge and interest that they shouldn't be excluded from our
advisory committees.

Sharon Duane Koomler
Curator of Collections
Hancock Shaker Village