From:
"Robert B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:02:04 EST
Hello,
      I am a library/info sci student who is currently at work on a paper
concerning the cataloging of images and artifacts. As this overlaps a bit
with the type of goals and work that museums practice, I have several
questions I'd like to post for anyone who has the time to answer.
     1) Any librarians working in museums, have you ever consulted with
     curators during the accession/cataloging of items? Have you ever heard
     of any information professionals being used by museums in this regard?
     2) To anyone, are your accession records automated, and if so, what
     kind of system do you use? Is records sharing ever an issue with museums?
     3) Anyone who has used Chennell(sp?) as a source for describing acquisitio
ns, please let me know a few likes/dislikes about it.
     There is a sparse literature comparing/contrasting library work and museum
accession practices, but I haven't seen anything recent on the topic. I greatly
appreciate feedback from anyone, and also welcome any comments, issues or
perspectives that I haven't anticipated.
                       Thank You, Robert Brazell