From:
Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:33:40 +0000
Hello,

I am not a member of this group but I am very pleased to see that it
exists! Also I would appreciate very much to receive a private answer at
my email address if you don't mind.
So, I am writing here today as a last hope to find out some photography
references. I am working for a National Film Board of Canada movie,
talking about sciences and divination arts (astrology / astronomy,
tarot, palm read...). This video will require presence of many
illustrations from old to rare books representing these themes. I found
lots of material and I am now trying to get the rights to use these
images but unfortunatly a few photography references are nebulous. So
here is what I am desperatly trying to find out: I have the reference
names but I can't get to have more than that. I would appreciate so much
if someone had informations about these names and would communicate it
to me:
(The names in bold caracters are the photography references I am looking
for)

1) JOSEPH DESSUART (1944-     )

author of "La cartomancie. Devins et destins"
and also of "La voyance. Collection "Que sais-je".
(in fact the authors are: Joseph and Annick Dessuart)
The image that is most interesting for us is a "Chromolithographie"
decorating a divinatory game cover which is part of a serie of magic
caskets (coffrets), all of it having to do with occultism. (around1890)

2) TAPABOR

Title of the book: "Astrologie passion"
by Elizabeth Teissier
Hachette
p.242 ; 2 images:
-one is a photograpy of the "Almanach astrologique pour 1856" cover
3) SOAZIG COLLECTION
-other one is probably a book or game cover: "La roue astrologique.
Faites votre horoscope", with a different reference written up here.

4) ADPC

Title of the book: "Astrologie passion"
by Elizabeth Teissier
Hachette
p.118

5) SCALA

Title of the book: "Astrologie passion"
by Elizabeth Teissier
Hachette
p.116-117
We can see representation of constellations on a blue background.
Beautiful.

6) CHAS WALKER

Title: "The millennium & beyond"
by Peter Lorie
Astrological consultant: Dr. Liz Greene
p.7
Image of a globe with representation of constellations on it.

For most of these references, I contacted the editor (and a lot more
people in so many directions) but can't find anything about the authors
or not enough to reach them and absolutely nothing about these names. So
if someone knew something about these photography references or about
the original early work location maybe, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you very much for taking time to read me and for your help,

Caroline Fournier
Montréal, Québec

p.s.: if someone would like to see some of these images, I can send it
to you anytime, just tell me in which format (jpg, psd...)?

Museum-L" (without the quotes).