From:
Steve Eichner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:20:39 -0400
This is an announcement that a new computer virus was
discovered in the last 24 hours (6/11/99).

I have crossposted this message to Museum-L and ISEN-ASTC-L
because it potentially affects users of each list and I am
on the management team for both communities.

DO NOT forward this message directly to other lists directly.
DO NOT mass mail this information to everyone in your address
book.

DO be careful in opening attachments.
DO send it to list managers and system administrators so that
they may make the decision about how to act and inform their
users.
DO contact your system administrator for instructions on how
to check for infections and to get the latest virus protection
software.

The information below is from http://www.mcafee.com, a
trusted source for virus information.

W32/ExploreZip.worm is a worm that infects Windows systems. It is very
dangerous, potentially more destructive than Melissa. It reproduces itself
by sending replies to incoming email messages, with itself as an attachment
called "zipped_files.exe". It includes a payload: it will search the user's
hard drive and delete all files of types .c, .cpp, .asm, .doc, .xls, .ppt.
IMPORTANT — If you receive an email with the message "I received your email
and I shall send you a reply ASAP. Till then, take a look at the attached
zipped docs.", DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY! It will have an attachment called
"zipped_files.exe"; DO NOT DOUBLE-CLICK OR RUN THIS ATTACHMENT! If you do,
it will infect your system!

Again, please be careful when opening attachments.

-Steve

Steven Eichner, Research Analyst and List Manager
Association of Science-Technology Centers Inc.
[log in to unmask] web: http://www.astc.org
ph: (202) 783-7200x130 fax: (202) 783-7207

Museum-L" (without the quotes).