From:
Faye Goolrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:29:05 -0400
To see extensive National Park Service literature and models on interpretive
planning, go to the NPS Harpers Ferry Center's interpretive plannig section at
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/products/ip.htm.   AAM also did a series on
interpretive planning about 5 years ago but I don't know if the resources are
stll on line.

I am a longtime member of both the Southeastern Museums Conference
(SEMC, the southeastern regional of AAM) and a group called the National
Association for Interpretation (NAI), whose members include some fine arts
museums, SI, historic houses, etc., but also include almost all the federal and
state parks systems, nature centers, environmental centers, zoos, and
botanical gardens in North America.  NAI is MUCH more into interpretive
planning than AAM and even offers a certification program for IP (which I have
just completed).

 It has always seemed an odd "disconnect" to me that these two
organizations don't seem to know much about each other.  I am a lifelong
independent museum/exhibit professional (historian by training; interpretive
planner, researcher and exhibit writer for Museum of Mobile, Charles Towne
Landing, NPS archaeological sites, etc), and I only discovered NAI when a US
Fish & Wildlife interpretive center I wrote (Okefenokee) won a national award
from them.

Hope this helps.  And if you reach a point where you really need outside help,
I'd be happy to take a look; contact me at [log in to unmask]