From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:59:30 -0400
Museum-l readers may want to contact their Senators regarding funding for
the Telecommunications and Information Infrastructure Assistance Program
(TIIAP), a new program that has benefited a number of museums directly
and indirectly.

The Senate will probably consider the bill containing TIIAP funding as
early as next Monday.  ***At that time we expect Sen. Bob Kerrey of
Nebraska to offer an amendment to restore funding in the Senate bill to
$21.5 million, which is the level of last year's funding and also the
level of the House-passed bill.*** As currently written, the Senate bill
includes only $4 million.  Funding for the program is contained in HR
3814, the Commerce-Justice-State appropriations bill.

TIAAP was established two years ago to promote widespread access to
advanced telecom services.  Grants are awarded to public and private
organizations working in partnerships to bring services to a variety of
constituencies.  Recipients have included museums, as well as school,
universities, libraries, etc.  Again, the grants are generally awarded to
a consortium of such organizations.

We are optimistic that the Kerrey amendment will pass, because a similar
amendment succeeded last year in the same situation.  Nevertheless,
grass-roots support will help to ensure victory.

You can help by contacting your Senators and asking them to co-sponsor or
at least support the Kerrey amendment to HR 3814, which would restore TIIAP
funding to $21 million for FY 1997.

Senators can be reached through the Senate switchboard at 202-224-3121,
or via e-mail through the Thomas legislative service of the Library of
Congress.  I'm told that I posted the wrong address for Thomas the other
day:  correct address http:\\thomas.loc.gov

PLEASE NOTE:  We are especially eager to get grassroots messages to
Senators:

Olympia Snowe (Maine)
Conrad Burns (Montana)
Ted Stevens (Alaska)
Larry Pressler (S. Dakota)
Bill Frist (TN)
Ernest Hollings (SC)
Pete Domenici (NM)
Thad Cochran (MS)

Please contact me via e-mail, or Barry Szczesny at AAM Government
Affairs, 202-289-9125, if you have any questions.

In haste,

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs