From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:18:09 -0800
Deb's absolutely right!

Here's the deal.  A candidate for a job may drive
him/herself crazy with angst from the moment they find
out there's a job available.  Once they've agonized
about every dotted I, crossed T, and matched KSA, and
put the thing in the mail, they then begin to obsess
about how long it's taking.

Trust me, it takes as long as it takes for as long as
it needs until the candidate is hired for the job.
Even after the interview, it could take days/weeks, to
get through the system.  The hiring supervisor may not
have the last word, and the subsequent screening may
take longer than it did to get an interview.  There
are just too many factors to consider.

It sounds callous to say so, and it's not intended
that way, but RELAX.  If you're a ball of nerves about
the job, the person you are hurting the most is
yourself.

Additionally, time is a relative thing.  In my
childhood, days lasted forever, and weeks were eons.
Now, in my later years, if I blink my eyes, I'm saying
Happy New Year all over again (it's amazing how much
faster the clock turns the older you get).

Keep yourself busy so that you're not preoccupied with
worrying about whether you will or won't get an
interview, and try to have several irons in the fire.
For many, getting a job at the Smithsonian is like
being given the Hope Diamond.  Can you imagine how
many aspire for the same diamond and how many can be
actually successful?

About those "awful" HR departments.  In a perfect
world, you'd get a thanks, but no thanks anytime you
apply for a position and aren't going to get it.  But
those kinds of letters say:

"Thanks for your application, unfortunately . . . blah
. . . blah . . . Your application will be kept on file
for 90 days and blah . . . blah . . . blah."

While you're waiting for the Rose Queen who got the
job to get bumped off so that you can get the crown,
chances are, if you didn't get it first go round, the
Hope Diamond is still going to be out of reach, only
you have a piece of paper that lulled you into a false
sense of hope. And, in this litigious society,
employers have to be especially careful what they
communicate to you.

Apply, and assume you're not going to get the job.
Start from that frame of reference.  Consider
enhancing any skills you need to along the way so that
you are in a continued state of job readiness, and
apply for other jobs.  It's a numbers game.

My personal pet peeve, however, as one who has
screened resumes and set up interviews in times past,
is the candidate who wimps out when you've called them
and says I have a class or some other reason when the
time is made to see if they're a hire.  You say no
when the opportunity is presented, and you shouldn't
expect another opportunity.  Unless you're uniquely
qualified, there's no reason. A lot more diamond
miners out there where you came from.

I know it's frustrating.  It wasn't that long ago I
was in the job market, too.  Just don't eat yourself
up alive worrying about a job you may or may not get.
You're more valuable than that.

Keep applying.  Maybe you'll have several offers, and
they'll have to do things to lure you!

=====
Indigo Nights