Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:19:29 EST
Aqualieb,
        Sorry about the delay.  What you asked has been the hot topic on
Sub-Arch periodically over the years.  I have advocated the sale of
'surplus' artifacts as a way of financing new exploration, digs,
preservation, and/or publication.  I feel that it is in the best
interests of both the archaeological and the general community to get the
word, and the artifacts, out to as many people as possible.   So much of
our heritage is locked away and will never be seen by anyone other than
the occasional researcher.  At the same time funding is getting scarce,
and costs are rising, for any new projects, preserving and displaying
what has been found, and communicating to the public the results of our
work.  A change of paridigm is called for and, in my opinion, is long
overdue.  Far from a curse on archaeology, I feel that sales such as you
propose are going to be the only new life blood for archaeology.  With
out such sales the only people involved in archaeology will be those of
independent sources of income:  in other words dilitantes.
        I am interested in the responses you received, tho I am willing
to bet that you were castigated for even mentioning this sale idea.
There are many in the field (and on this list) who privately agree, but
are not about to commit professional suicide by publically saying that
this is the way to try to save archaeology.  Do not make a misstake: I do
not advocate the rape and pillage that has taken place by treasure
hunters interested only in profit.  I do advocate and support the
archaeologically sound excavations that offer surplus artifacts for sale
as a way to finance the preservation, public display, public education,
and public publishing of the results.
Thank you
Jayson R. Jones