From:
liz hardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:27:48 -0500
Here's another angle:  A book by Amos Long, Jr., titled The Pennsylvania
German Family Farm (Publications of the Pennsylvania German Society, vol.
VI, Breinigsville, Pa. 1972) has a chapter on "The
Malthouse--Stillhouse--Winery" that may be of help to you.  The stillhouse
he describes was a place for making spirits of various kinds, from
ingredients that included fruits, flowers, berries, roots etc.--many of
which had herbal/medicinal properties.  Though the stillhouse he describes
was a detached structure, depending on the scale of household production,
you could probably transpose parts of the operation to a room ("still
room").  I hope this note gets back to the person who first asked the
question.

Liz Hardin
Registrar/Researcher
Doon Heritage Crossroads