From:
Heidi Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 12:22:07 -0600
Text panels should be written for an audience with a reading level
between sixth and eighth grade.  You must remember that children in grade
school will also be visiting the museum and not all adults have a high
reading level.  Newspapers are also written at this level (grade 6 to 8).
I would guess that surveys have been done to determine the visitor's
reading level, if not in the museum setting, but somewhere else (i.e.
newspaper subscribers).

For more information on writing text panels in museums, the following
book may help:
Dean, David (1994)  Museum Exhibition:  Theory and Practice.  Routledge,
      New York.

Hope that helps.
Heidi Anderson