From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 09:06:43 -0500

Anne,

To boil it all down, yes, people are going to have a difficult time

breaking into the field right now. There are still jobs, but they will be

harder to find and more competitive. You certainly do not have to lie down

for it, and kudos for not doing so, but you definitely have to accept it.

Not giving up is what will get you a job eventually. Don't worry about the

3-5, just keep trying and let people know what you have to offer.

I got my MA in museum science in good times and god my first jobs in good

times, and it was still hard. The field is fun, interesting, and very

supportive, but it is stressful and often frustrating. Only half of my

graduating class are still in the field. They did not have your passion for

the work, and were drawn away by crass financial needs.

As to the not-quite-vitriolic nature of your post, I did not get the

impression Deb or Indigo were suggesting you or anyone else in particular

failed to do your homework or blew it in choosing this field. They were

simply trying to express the fact that many do not think ahead in making

such choices, and that doing that research can help a person choose their

career wisely. It is great for people to do something simply for the love

of the work, but those people should never complain about the downsides.

More education is never a bad idea.

You are right that it will hurt the field to have the new blood go

elsewhere. But that brain drain has been happening for a long time. They

will not all go elsewhere, as evidenced by yourself, and the field will

continue. Some few will follow their dreams despite the barriers thrown up

in front of them. Those are the people we really need in the field anyway.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Anne Sawicki

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Re: experience for entry level

                                       positions

             05/11/2004 11:55

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

So...with regards to the comments put forth by indigonights and Deb Fuller

regarding entry-level work...what you seem to be saying is that new people

entering the museum profession right now have about a snowflake's chance in

hell of finding work that will actually pay them a living wage.  I also

gather that hunting for entry-level museum work will be about as painful as

having a root canal done. Point taken, but it still saddens me to think

that such a wonderful profession has fallen on such hard times.

It's also too bad that a lot of optimism in the profession has seemingly

opted out. Sure, you can't eat dreams...but sometimes that's all you've got

to sustain you in this cold cruel world. It would be far worse, I think, if

we had to live in a world where young people didn't have any dreams or

hopes.

And I really take umbrage at the comment that as recent grads, we all "blew

it" because we believed in our  dreams of becoming museum workers. Let me

just say that none of us are fortunetellers and that there were a whole lot

of really smart economists out there who didn't see this negative trend

coming either. I bet that many of them are unemployed right now too. As a

matter of fact, at last count, there are about 8.2 million people out of

work right now in the United States. That's a lot of folks. Did all of

those 8.2 million people "blow it" too? Somehow, I don't think so. The

truth is that a lot of different people in many different fields have been

affected by economic circumstances that are way beyond their control.

As grad students, we certainly couldn't predict that we would be trying to

enter a job market during this massive downturn. We started our museum

studies programs during good economic times. The outlook for the profession

was much more positive just a few years ago than it is now. Sure, we

believed our professors who told us that we would find work when we got out

of school. And some of us actually did do our homework before deciding on

this field. We read the government charts and employment figures that told

us that the jobs in the arts were flourishing. But at about the same time

that we got out of grad school, the economy slid right into the tank. That

was not something that any of us planned for, we didn't have any control

over that situation, but we are all trying to deal with it as best we can.

It was a matter of bad timing, not bad planning on our part.

As for recent grads having to compete for entry level jobs with seasoned

professionals…and your comment that we should just "get used to it," well,

I'm not going to just lie down and accept that. I'm telling you straight

out that I think that this situation stinks. My opinion doesn't count for

much, but I think that this is a very bad trend. It is eventually going to

hurt the museum profession because the best and brightest of the new grad

students are now having to look for employment in other fields. If they get

better jobs, chances are they won't come back to museums. And seasoned

staffers having to compete for lower paying entry-level jobs…well that's

not good either. Soon those people will get disgusted with the lack of

opportunities and start leaving too. So am I off base with this, or should

we be concerned that we are starting to see a "brain drain" happening in

this profession?

As for looking for other options...well, many of us recent grads are

already doing that. I am taking computer classes in order to broaden my

skills, and so that I can become more marketable. But as for going back to

school full-time in order to get a doctorate in "French Celtic

Impressionistic painting," or whatever you said, Deb, well some of us just

don't think that would be a very smart move right now. Just think about

this for a moment: as new graduates, we just spent a whole lot of time,

money and effort getting our M.A.'s. Then we got out of school, but the

economy is in the tank and there are hardly any job openings in our chosen

field. And now you want us to go back to school for much more expensive

degrees but we still have little possibility of finding work? Sure, we

could all go get lots of student loans and become Phd's, but how would this

actually help us? We'll have a lovely degree for our wall, we'll be in debt

up to eyebrows, and it might be even harder for us to find jobs because

we'll suddenly be far too specialized in narrow little areas like "French

Celtic Impressionistic Painting." If museums aren't hiring M.A.'s for even

the lowest entry level jobs right now, then why would they even think of

hiring brand new Phds? They'd have to pay them much more money, and money

is the big problem for everyone right now.

And as per giving up what indigonights referred to as "visions of

butterflies and rainbows," well, you can go right ahead and tell people to

give up on dreams, but I sure won't give up on mine. Butterflies and

rainbows are some of the best things in life. Visions and visionaries are

essential. Walt Disney knew this. He made a fortune because he encouraged

people to follow their dreams. Right in the middle of the Great Depression

he reminded our parents and grandparents to "Wish Upon A Star." He knew how

important it is for people to find hope in tough times. Imagine, just for a

moment, what this world would be like right now if we all shared that kind

of optimism…

A. Sawicki,

Hopeful Museum Technician

Subscriber Information: