From:
Jodi Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:08:28 -0500
Kristy,
        There is no question that electronic collections management systems are a
boon to many museums but only so far as there are human beings who will
create and maintain these systems.  No matter if you choose off-the-shelf
or museum-specific software, you and your organization need to ask a few
questions about the "need" for computers.
First, and foremost: Who will maintain the system?  Is there a person in
your organization, available for the long-term, who will take the lead in
developing  and maintaining electronic collection records?  It will do your
organization no good to invest in costly hardware and software if there is
no one to use it.

Also, what do you want the system to do? A deceptively simple question but
crucial to the success of coll. mgt.  If you expect to have a complete
record of each and every donation, artifact and collection, this
information must be entered into the system.  Useful as they may be,
computers will only retrieve information entered in.  The information you
enter will determine how useful an electronic collection management system
is to your organization. Again, success depends on who is available to
enter and maintain the data.

Finally, there is more to using a computer for collection records than just
buying a system and plugging in the data.  A little upfront organizational
self-study and planning before you buy will help your organization create
and maintain a useful system.  For more information you might start with
the chapter in THE NEW MUSEUM REGISTRATON METHODS, 1998 American
Association of Museums, eds. Rebecca Buck and Jean Allman Gilmore. Also, I
strongly recommend REGISTRATION METHODS FOR THE SMALL MUSEUM by Daniel
Reibel, 1997 AltaMira Press, available through the American Association for
State and Local History. This little book is invaluable.

Jodi

At 04:09 PM 6/6/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>I am interning at my local historical society and I have a question on
>accession.  The historical society/museum is small and as of right now they
>are doing their accessions on type-writers.  My question is what kind of
>computer system would be good for them to use and what kind of software is
>recommended for accession?  Please respond on or off the list.  Thank you
>in advance.  Intern, Kristy Miller.  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Jodene K. Evans
Registrar
State Historical Society of Iowa
600 E. Locust