From:
Robert B Hole Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:34:53 -0700
An idea I heard about recently, though I'm not sure where it's employed,
was to have a window, or pane in a frame, with the vanished elements
painted on  it. When you look from an appropriately directed vantage point
(I think painted footprints on the pavement), you could see what was there
imposed on the "modern" landscape. This could be most  effective (IMHO)
with translucent paints on the pane, so you can more clearly see what's
left of any structures (foundations etc.) "behind" the images.

This could be incorporated into a panel sort of like those "vista point"
panels where things are labeled on an image of the panorama.

For a site that had a long occupancy and change, this could be set up as a
series of panels with view-holes.

Just an idea. Again, I haven't seen it employed. Someone for whom this
rings a bell might be able to describe it better.

Bob

At 04:44 PM 7/9/2003 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi everyone
>
>We have an extensive 19th century site that is comprised of open expanses
>of green lawn dotted with the ruins of a small number of the structures
>which once were here. In its heyday the site was a densely-settled,
>intensively-used place, including elements of prison, township and
>industrial complexes. Visitors today have access to a model of the site,
>which shows its former extent, to a slim guide book and to a short guided
>tour which attempts to fill in the gaps. Only about half our visitors take
>the tour.
>
>I am keen to hear from anyone who has used interpretive strategies other
>than signage (and tours, books and models in visitor centres) to alert
>visitors somehow to the structures which are now archaeological rather
>than visible.
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Julia Clark
>Manager, Interpretation & Collections