From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 23:00:03 -0500
Matt,

We have a fully functioning, belt driven machine shop complete with the
pulleys and belts you mention (many of our pulleys are actually wood).
We too run ours of off a hidden electronic motor, although on special
occasions we fire up a steam engine we run on compressed air.  We have
managed to salvage our whole belt system from abandoned factories, mills,
and small work shops.  Quite frankly we are lousy with the stuff.  Almost
every small factory or shop we get to pick over still has some form of
belting system or equipment.  I am in no position to offer you anything
passed advice.  I will, however, forward your letter and my response to
our assistant director Ann Steele.  Maybe she can be of more help.  She
did collect most of our stuff.

Good Luck.

Matthew A. White
Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410)727-4808