From:
Ken Bloom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:05:02 -0400
Dear Colleagues,
Sorry for the repost but some feedback: opinions, observations, referrals,
and/or models would be awfully helpful.

As you all know, the past years of community involvement discourse have
produced many different models involving constituencies in the process of
developing programming. In the academic setting where faculty and
"university public" meet in the gallery, there is a special need for findig
mutual ground in planning.
An exhibitions committee comprised of faculty and community arts supporters
seems to be that ground.

Our program has been growing under the guise of providing an exhibitions
programming service to the broader university community. We are facing the
need to redefine our procedures and develop an exhibitions review process
that will allow for curatorial freedom as well as a sense of audience
ownership. Our objective is to reflect the University and surrounding area
civilian communities.

Up until now our program committee has been an all faculty member group
which has been overseeing a teaching gallery. With the need for outreach,
so too has our need to redefine the exhibitions committee, its process of
review and mission.

Any ideas?  Please advise, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Bloom, Director
Landmark Arts: The Galleries of Texas Tech
Department of Art, Box 42081
Lubbock, TX  79409
(806) 742-1947