From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:16:00 PDT
Norwich University out of Vermont -- has a MS program where you
basically write your own.  I have attended both a "sit in class,
listen to professor" approach and the "distant learning" (with
a Field Advisor (who holds a Ph.d) and a Core Advisor (who holds
a Ph.d).  I've found that the "distant learning" program is tough,
a lot of work, and can meet the same requirements as attending
a campus.

This type of program is excellent for those of us away from schools
that have pathways and degrees we are seeking such as Museology/Museum
Studies, but there are no schools near our place of residence.

Distant learning, however, is more that "correspondence courses",
because you have to travel to seminars, and there are even "face-to-
face" encounters with professors -- so we do not get away from
them.  :-)

My Study Plan (classes, courses) had to go through three levels of
approval --- through very well qualified people, two of which in
the field of study.

At 05:18 PM 6/7/96 -0700, you wrote:
>        Might anyone on the list be able to provide information on which
>educational institutions (anywhere in the world) offer correspondence
>courses in museums studies and/or any related fields? Also, if you have any
>inclination as to the quality of these programs, would you please include
>that in your answer?
>        Please contact me personally if you wish.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Michael Bermudez

John Martinson
Work: Fort Walla Walla Museum