From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 07:35:31 -0400
The original column to which the editorial referred.

Discussion?

--
Matthew White
Director of Museums

Mr. Smithson's Was the First

By Lawrence M. Small
Thursday, May 31, 2001; Page A25

As a nation, our lives are enriched by the generosity of others. It is
difficult to imagine a United States of America without the great private
gifts that have helped create distinguished universities, museums and
libraries. We live in an era, however, in which some regard these donations
with a curious mixture of indifference and skepticism.

Today, for example, there is a simmering debate over "naming opportunities,"
the process by which a building or a room is named for a donor. Some argue
that naming opportunities can warp an institution's mission. But history
proves that this notion is incorrect. Simply accepting a gift does not
create a conflict. Indeed, many great public institutions date their
excellence to such a donation.

The Smithsonian is one example. It takes its name from its benefactor,
British scientist James Smithson. For those who object to "conditions"
placed on donations, consider the little-known fact that Smithson imposed
three conditions. He specified the name (Smithsonian Institution), the
location (Washington) and the purpose ("the increase and diffusion of
knowledge").

Today four Smithsonian museums carry the name of individual donors -- the
Freer, Sackler, Hirshhorn and Cooper-Hewitt museums. The building that will
house the new National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport has been named
for philanthropist Steven F. Udvar-Hazy, who donated $65 million toward its
construction. More recently, the lion's share of a $100 million commitment
by philanthropist Kenneth E. Behring will help to transform and modernize
the National Museum of American History.

At other institutions, naming opportunities for donors are a common
practice. The New York Public Library and the American Museum of Natural
History, Lincoln Center and many other institutions have named spaces for
generous donors. Yale got its name in 1718 when Elihu Yale gave the
Collegiate College in New Haven several bales of goods, some books and a
portrait of George I. My alma mater used to be known as the Rhode Island
College. You know it as Brown University, renamed in 1804 to honor
Providence merchant Nicholas Brown, who donated $5,000.

Though we might think so, these issues are not unique to our times.
Consequently, the 155-year-old Smithsonian has thought long and hard about
its policies, and has developed practices that guide its fund-raising
efforts. Like scores of public universities, museums, libraries, medical
centers and other entities, the Smithsonian Institution starts from the
proposition that government funding cannot do it all. We make no apologies
for seeking private support to develop programs or facilities that the
public wants and benefits from.

In all cases, we retain intellectual control while demonstrating to donors
that their money can be spent productively and prudently. Does that mean we
don't consult them? Of course we do. But the Smithsonian regents and staff
control, without limitation or question, the Smithsonian activity. They
dictate the content of the exhibit and program, and they retain authority
over research. That has always been the case.

Although we live in an era of great cynicism, there is ample proof today
that private philanthropy is a vehicle for good work -- and that it has a
crucially important role to play in supplementing public monies. There is
also ample proof that philanthropy and institutional integrity can coexist
quite successfully. We should embrace those whose generosity enriches our
lives, not reject them.

The writer is secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.

© 2001 The Washington Post Company