From:
Lisa Renken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:20:49 -0500
I sent a query to Museum-L 10 days ago on a Friday evening (my best block
of time for such tasks).  I received perhaps 3 responses to my query.
Realizing many Monday morning listers probably delete everything that came
in over the weekend, I decided to resend my query.  Please post any
information I receive.  Thanks.

As our Board of Trustees continues to brainstorm about ways to increase
our museum's membership, I wondered exactly what rate of membership should
we be able to expect.

Ours is a small cultural history museum located in a rural
farming/military base community on the central coast of California.  The
city's population is about 40,000. Prior to a major membership drive about
5 years ago, our membership was at 450. It is currently remaining fairly
steady now at 820 after a peak of about 1000.

I would be greatful to learn what levels of membership support other
Museums experience, particularly small cultural history museums in
communities of a similar size.  What articles, books, or other resources
are there out there that would help us get an idea of what level of
community support is reasonable? What kind of membership drives have you
found most successful?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Lisa Renken, Ph.D
Director
Lompoc Museum