From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:09:15 -0500
Gail,

I am not sure about the "screen goo" brand, but we have used screen paint
of the kind you are referring to in several video installations. They work
quite well to replace the cloth-based screens, and are significantly better
than normal white walls.  The paints we have used are generally
superwhites, or paints that have had a much higher than normal percentage
of the titanium-based white pigment added. We generally try to avoid the
ones with the micro-reflective beads, as they are harder to apply and even
harder to paint over in the future(if you ever intend to). The reflective
ones are good if you are going to leave it permanently and use the
projection wall frequently. They also look odd in normal light. Both are
easily available commercially at any paint store.

We also experimented with walls that were entirely white, versus ones with
dark borders around the projection area. If you know generally what the
size of your projection will be(especially if your projector is going to
remain fixed), then the dark gray border adds an impressive touch.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             "Anderson, Gail
             K." <[log in to unmask]>
             Sent by: Museum                                            To
             discussion list           [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]                                          cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Screen Goo
             04/22/2004 12:50
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Has anyone had any experience with Screen Goo?  [This is not a joke.]  It
is a paint that can be used on walls (or other surfaces) for projection.
It replaces the need for projection screens.

I would appreciate any information I can obtain.  Thank you in advance for
your help.

Gail

Gail Kana Anderson
Assistant Director/Curator of Collections
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art
The University of Oklahoma
410 W. Boyd St.
Norman, OK 73019