From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:11:46 -0800
Yes, you're talking about "god-of-the-gaps" thinking, which is how all
religious and supernatural thinking got started by our pattern-seeking
explanation-hungry species in the first place.  Happily it led eventually to
science, so now we need not make the same mistakes in reasoning as our
ancestors.

When you think about it, we used to know everything -- how the world was
created, why we are here, what lies in the future.  Then along came science
and now we hardly know anything!  With each new answer, many more questions
are generated -- the realm of the unknown is expanding exponentially.  I'm
always amused by those who deride science as "having an answer for
everything," as if the all the wonder, awe, and mystery are squeezed out in
the process.  In fact, it was (and is) religion that proposes to have an
answer for everything -- that leaves no gap godless.

On 1/31/05 10:40 AM, Steven Allison-Bunnell's electrons arrived as: