From:
"Bentley, Andrew Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 16:17:57 +0000
Nina

This is a problem that we in natural history collections deal with quite frequently.  Anthropology collections also have issues around housing and displaying itms that include feathers etc. from endangered species – Native American headdresses etc.

You have the potential of running foul of US Fish and Wildlife and other agencies if they become aware of this illegal material.  Some natural history collections have a rigorous accessioning policy in place to negate any future problems with illegally procured material.  We need to supply collecting permits, import and export permits and deeds of gift for all material to be cataloged into our collections.  Most of the institutions that have these policies in place do so because they have been burnt in the past due to illegal material being uncovered and at times being reclaimed

I am not sure how rigorously soil is treated by these agencies but do know that plant specimens have been unused back upon import into the US because they contain too much soil attached to roots that may include potential invasive species of microbes etc.  I think you will have less of a problem with your "celebrity" samples unless they are from outside of the US.

I would be reluctant to display, keep or accept this material into your collection on those grounds.

Hope that helps

Andy

   A :            A :            A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V              V              V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7593
USA