From:
Emma Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:56:35 +0000
Dave (Morgan)

Cleaning is never straight forward. We have explored a number of
avenues, some through choice, others through necessity. We use an
in-house team and personally I feel we obtain greater loyalty and
general commitment. However, contractors can work well. Plus points are
that if your not happy with the service you can either not pay or change
contractor. In terms of concerns as to materials I would seek advice
from the floor manufacturers, case designers and similar. This should
insure that the correct materials are used for the job. Your contractor
should also be able to provide you with a breakdown of what is in their
materials, ask for this ahead. You can also carry out patch tests, on
areas you have concerns about.

The key advice is agree what you require relative to cleaning-
frequency, areas, numbers of people and all. You should also agree the
standards you wish and these should be agreed prior to the contractors
beginning. Obtain quotes from a selection of companies and if you are
unsure as to what your Museum requires bring several contractors in and
ask them. However, remember they are probably going to over recommend,
in order to increase the contract size.

I hope this is of some use and if you want to discuss the business of
contracting out further please contact me.

Best of luck

Emma Ward
Head of Visitor Services
National Museums of Scotland