From:
Tim Bosher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 11:42:57 +1100
On Sun, 27 Nov 1994, Holly Trimper wrote:

> This point applies to both conversations regarding the dragging of heels by
> museums to use the internet more and how email is changing how we tlak to
> each other professionally and privately:
>
> The increasing reliance on electronic media tends toward elitism.  What
> audience are you reaching?  Those who have the resources (read $$) to have
> the hardware and software to support virtual museums, huge art files, etc.
> are few.  Sure, that population is growing, but the people most interested in
> and most apt to use/purchase computers, modems, etc.  are the folks who are
> most likely to attend museums anyway.  Schools usually don't have the
> equipment to use mosaic, www, etc., and unless someone comes into the school
> to train or demonstrate how to get to these resources, they will remain
> unused.  Email is less snobbish, but you still need the computer and modem
> and know-how, including netiquette (like don't quote a 40-line post and
> follow up with "I agree!").
>
> In short, let's not lose our heads over the *wonders* of internet.  We risk
> snubbing a lot of people.

An interesting point was raised by a recent visitor to us from South
Africa (the Mayibuye Centre). When asked why they are producing CD-ROM
material for a very low-tech audience, his response was that to fail to
provide technology based services to groups because they aren't
'connected' is a form of active discrimination which helps perpetuate the
problem. The availability of material of worth promotes arguments for
access. I think there's a degree of sense in this argument

Tim

*            Tim Bosher           *      Museum of Victoria          *
* [log in to unmask]  *  Information Systems Branch      *
*      Phone: +61 3 651 6751      *      Fax: +61 3 651 6180         *
*      There is no time like the present to postpone                 *
*      what you should be doing.                                     *