From:
ERICA SCOTT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:56:27 -0500
The word "vintage" pertains to anything from a previous season. Therefore, one could call their spring 08 shoes "vintage."  (I think the market decides what and when something/anything is deemed vintage--just ask Ebay) In the world of costume collecting the word vintage is seldom used. Instead we use typical museum language including historic, object, dress or costume.

However, I think the more important issue is whether or not the items fit into your museum's mission. Does it make sense to collect clothing from the 1980s? Will you exhibit these items? Will your staff and audience benefit from the acceptance of such objects?

I work in a fashion museum. There are many objects that we cannot accept due to our mission statement; to collect based on design merit regardless of the era from which the object dates. Additionally, a piece could be from the 1780s or the 1980s but if it cannot be exhibited in our galleries or is not fit to be studied by our students then it most likely does not make sense for us to accept it into our collection.

Erica Suzanne Scott
Assistant Museum Registrar,
The Museum at FIT
www.fitnyc.edu/museum