From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:44:59 -0800
Another option if you need work clothes but have very
little money is to take a job in a clothing store. You
will get a discount on clothing (I'm currently working
a second job at a store where I get a 70% discount on
their clothes) as well as income.

And it can also be very good customer and donor
relations experience. The customers I get at the store
I'm moonlighting at are similar to those you would get
donating to a museum so I am gaining experience in
interacting with them and convincing them to drop alot
of money. And a friendin visitor services at a local
museum who worked her way through grad school in the
Nordstrom's shoe department says of all the things she
has done in her life to prepare for her current job,
the shoe department taught her the most useful
lessons.

If someone finds themselves in their 20s with
absolutely nothing which would be appropraite in a
work setting (do they live in sweats and jeans?), they
probably need to do some shopping to spruce up their
wardrobe to make it presentable to the world anyways.
There are more circumstances in life than job
interviews which require you to wear non-trashy
clothes. Maybe one never has a need to own a suit, but
a decent pair of trousers and a shirt is not too much
to ask. You will run into this issue more than once in
your adult life.

My mom always said you dress for the job you want, not
the job you have.

Pamela

And personally, I think people need to seriously think
about taking a
non-museum job for a semester or two to save up enough
money to do an
internship. It won't kill you to postpone an
internship if you really
don't have the finances to support yourself well
enough to concentrate
on your job. If you are eating once a day and have few
clothes, can
you really concentrate enough to do your best and
learn at an
internship? Perhaps you can cut back to part-time and
work part-time
elsewhere to support yourself. Even non-museum work
experience is work
experience and will teach you valuable skills you can
apply to museum
jobs.

deb

http://mail.yahoo.com