From:
patricia l roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:49:40 -0500
(apologies to everyone on the list not interested in this stuff--I hit
the wrong key)

Ms Sheret:

Please don't use wooden hangers, for the same reasons you don't set your
textile materials on wood shelves or drawers.  We use a variety of hanger
types; most commonly a shaped plastic hanger, which for most things we cover
with a simple, easily removeable muslin cover.  We have more flat
storage than hanging storage, so we don't hang anything dating from
before around 1940.

We order our hangers from Batts, 200 Franklin, Zeeland MI  49464
Customer service 616-772-4635.  You may be able to find a distributor for
hangers (check with your local retailers) nearer you.  Most recently, we
ordered the "Falcon" hanger, which comes in a range of sizes from 10"-19"
wide.  Many 19th century garments require the 10-12" size; we use 12" -
16" more than any others.

Yes, you must pad your dress forms or mannikins to fit the individual
garment you are exhibiting.  Dress forms are easier because you don't
have to worry about makeup, hair, posture, hand gesture and leg stance,
nor do they have to be accessorized.  But they still need to be padded to
fit, based on measurements taken from the INSIDE of the garment.  We use
Dress Rite forms, a very basic dress form which comes in standard
contemporary sizing.  I recommend getting a size smaller than your
garments measure, and getting the variety with collapsible shoulders.
The forms may still require considerable reshaping, and tend to have a
slightly sway-backed posture, but they work fairly well.

Dress Rite's address is 3817 N. Pulaski, Chicago, IL  60641-3141,
312-588-5761.  They have both male and female forms.  The forms cost
about $200 each.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of further help.

Pat Roath
Elizabeth Sage Historic Costume Collection
Indiana University, Bloomington
812-855-4627