From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 1994 19:43:08 -0500
I agree entirely with Mr. Smith in his comments regarding the manner in
which this directory in being assembled.

However realistic, people do have an expectation of privacy which should
be respected. It is the violation of this respect which has raised the
ire of some, the irritation of others, and much shoulder-shrugging
amongst many.

The organizers of this directory are taking a situation in which the
response to their query wasn't sufficiently answered and are turning that
into an "semi-automatic" process. They are forcing people to react to ensure
their privacy. This not only questionable in terms of ethics, it is also
makes one wonder about the cognition and perceptions of those involved.
Would similar conduct be permisible in conducting a research survey of
museum visitors?

I, for one, believe that we should treat our fellow professionals with
the same respect and hospitality that we offer to the visitors whom we
serve.

Dave

=:|\Pinnacle Online                    - Open and dynamic Internet services:=
=:|_/||\ ||\ |   |\.| __  |       Voice: 804/498.3889  email: [log in to unmask]:=
=:|  || \|| \| o | \| \_ .|        Data: 804/498.9762  login: guest or new :=