From:
Jim Kajpust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:29:43 -0500
I've been a volunteer at a couple of museums locally. I first tried at
the local library but they told me don't use volunteers. I've heard
since that it is a union rule (haven't seen it in writing tho') because of
job loss.

The local historical museum seems to try its best to discourage new
volunteers, so I spent almost two years with the local art museum
which welcomes volunteers with open arms. I'm now starting back to
an annoying relationship with the historical museum.

As far as why they discourage volunteers I'm not sure. I can see a
job problem -- why pay if you can get someone to do it for nothing.
On the other hand I don't see the funding ever supporting museums
to the point where they can hire as many as they need. In many
ways it's a no win situation.

> It was suggested to me during a discussion last week
> that people who volunteer in museums are actually
> doing their profession a dis-service, and that while
> qualified people are willing to work for free, museums
> are never going to look for the money to employ them.
> Having been a volunteer myself, it was not something I
> had thought about...does anyone have any opinions on
> this?

Jim Kajpust - Personal Responsibility - Personal Freedoms
Michigan - http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust

Museum-L" (without the quotes).