From:
Melissa Heaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:09:23 -0400
A colleague of mine, who is not on this List, works with a large historic
site that has been having problems with visitors who chew gum and then leave
it in inappropriate areas of the property - on the walkways, on benches, in
the various buildings, etc. Anywhere other than in any one of the many waste
baskets scattered around the grounds!

Her site has posted signs at the entrance and around the property stating
that there is no food or drink allowed within the confines of the site.
Unfortunately, as we all know, that doesn't really deal with the problem. (I
can remember one of my first jobs in the profession, where a guide stood at
the entrance to the house with a paper cup, and all the school kids spit
their gum out into it before entering the building. Not terribly attractive,
but very effective.)

Has anyone else on the List had to deal with this problem? If you have any
policies/procedures in place that might assist her with how you have
combated this issue, please forward them to me and I will pass them on.

Many thanks!

Melissa M. Heaver
Director-Museum Collections
National Trust for Historic Preservation
202-588-6148
202-588-6232 (f)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).