Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 11:15:31 EST
Sorry for a delayed comment on last week's discussion of John Dillinger's
naughty bits which the NMNH folks will probably stone me for bringing up
again.  My understanding of the rumor about his parts being in the Smithsonian
is that the Walter Reed Medical Museum used to be located nearer the Mall in
Washington DC and tourists used to wander in there thinking it was a Smithsonia
museum and come back years later wanting to know where the building was with
all the dismembered organs, etc.  Any truth to this explanation?

Coincidental to this brief discussion, I just visited Crown Hill Cemetery
here in Indianapolis and saw John Dillinger's grave on Saturday.  And the
Sunday Indianapolis Star ran a story that the man the G-men gunned down outside
the movie theater was not really Dillinger and so the identity of the man
buried at Crown Hill is in question.....(which would put the identity of the
body part's original owner into question too, if it really is floating out
there in some Washington museum)

Completely changing the subject to something much more tasteful and
respectable.  To fans of the Avengers who surfaced on the list last week:
Two must-have books for your library:

The Complete Avengers_, by Dave Rogers (New York: St. Martins Press, 1989)
  includes episode guides to ALL the shows including the early ones before
  Mrs Peel and Mrs Gale joined John Steed.

_The Avengers:  Too Many Targets_ by John Peel (no relation) and Dave Rogers
 (New York: St Martins Press, 1990)

Feel free to contact me for Avengers discussion!  (Nick at Nite does not show
them.  Arts&Entertainment used to show edited episodes)

Carolyn Brady

  [log in to unmask]   |  "Real solemn history, I cannot be
 MA program in Public History |   interested in....The quarrels of popes
   Indiana University-        |   and kings, with wars or pestilences
    Purdue University at      ü   in every page; the men all so good for
     Indianapolis             |   nothing, and hardly any women at all."
 (out of town July 26-29)     ü                       --JANE AUSTEN